Patients & Visitors

Palliative Care

Financial Advice

This section covers financial issues:

Will I have to pay for care?

You do not have to pay for District Nursing or any specialist palliative care services including hospice care. There is sometimes a charge for health and social care organised by local councils depending on savings that a person has. Information is available from your local council.

There are some non-means tested benefits to which people with a life threatening illness may be entitled. These include:

  • Disability Living Allowance – for people under 65 years
  • Attendance Allowance – for people over 65 years

back to top

What is Continuing Health Care?

NHS funded continuing healthcare (CHC) and NHS funded nursing care is a complete package of care arranged and solely funded by the NHS, rather than privately paid for, or funded by social services. The funding is available when someone has complex health needs requiring ongoing support. It can be provided in any setting - at home, in a nursing or residential home, or in hospital.

An assessment is carried out by a qualified member of healthcare staff that is trained in CHC. At home, this will be the district nurse. In hospital, it will be one of the senior nurses or doctors working in the ward, or one of the specialist palliative care nurses (Macmillan nurses).

Patients who are unfortunately reaching the end of their lives often need a lot of help and support and should always be assessed for CHC funded help.

For further information about the NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care click on the image to download a booklet in pdf format.

back to top

Where can I get financial advice?

Citizens Advice Bureau:

For advice online:

Local bureaux:

Macmillan Cancer Information & Support Centre, RUH:
Benefits Advisor
Tel: 01225 824049, or drop in to the centre

Macmillan Cancer Support:
Freephone: 0800 500 800

back to top